Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Goals for 2013

It's telling that it's taken me 2 months to put together a list of goals for 2013.  And this probably going to change over the course of the year, but I kind of have to get going now, and here's why.

I believe in the saying that you need to picture yourself where you want to be or what you want to be and then work backwards to find out how to get yourself there.  There is no destination without a journey, right?  I'm not sure which is harder to figure out sometimes, the destination or the path. 

Here's my list of what I'd like to do this year, both specific and a bit more nebulous:
- Run a half-marathon Done. I'm going to do a few more though.
- Complete the Steelhead 70.3 Half Ironman
- Refocus my energy on my small business
- Knit more- including knitting my first pair of socks
- Continue clean eating, specifically the paleo diet
- Train with Team to End AIDS for the Chicago Marathon
- Possibly take a big trip for my 30th birthday, funds permitting

The thing is, some of these destinations, like the 70.3, require a commitment and a road map that start now.  I've had a hard time dragging my butt to the gym over the past few months.  I had to quit my old gym and subsequently my personal trainer due to financial restraints and that kind of sucked the motivation out of me.  I gained weight back and now I'm feeling a little lost in my skin.  But as soon as I made the decision to print off Week 1 of a half-iron training program, I immediately felt more confident in my decision.  I can do THIS.  I can do Week 1 of training, starting now.  I can do Week 2 and 3, and who cares what Week 4 looks like right now, because I'll deal with it when I get there.  20 weeks worth of calculated training is daunting, but Week 1 is alright.


The journey of 70.3 miles starts with a few icy steps. 



No comments: